Friday, August 20, 2010

Have Compassion and Stop Hating

I have pets.  I love animals.  I have a soft spot for all creatures that look to me for food, be it feral cats, raccoons, possums.  I don't feed wild animals, but it hurts my heart to see hungry animals.   I have three indoor cats, a dog and two guinea pigs.  We have a feral cat issue in my neighborhood. It started a couple years ago. A mama cat showed up and dumped a litter. Two cats survived, the mom disappeared. I fed the two surviving kittens and caught them and had them fixed.  Bad mama came back the next year and had another litter. Of all of those cats two adults are left. One is fixed and the other needs to be caught and fixed.  There are two remaining kittens delivered this year that I have caught and are taming to find homes. We are talking about probably 15 cats in all, two adults remain, one fixed and I have the remaining kittens.

No one is happy about these cats, myself included. I am working to get the last adult fixed and the kittens relocated.  I know people have issues with these cats.   Please understand, feral cats have few options. The humane society will not take them. They cannot be tamed. Friends of Cats and other cat friendly charities will not take these cats. No one wants them, they aren't fed, they are forced to hunt and kill or go thru trash for food. They didn't ask to be here. I find it highly offensive that people want them dead or to catch them and take them somewhere else where they will die. 98% of cats who are trapped and relocated will be run off by native cats and killed.   I would be happy to feed them so they don't kill birds.  If they are fixed coyotes will get them eventually.
I know they crap in yards. I know they kill birds. These cats have no options. They are in the lowest level of survival mode. There are two left. They didn't ask to be here. Coyotes will get them eventually. If you consider them a nuisance, find humane ways to help. Feed them, that way they don't kill birds.

Guess what? Coyotes are already going thru your yards and they crap there too.  Coyotes kill dogs and cat alike.  The cats got here thru irresponsible pet owners.  Be responsible and do something humane instead of hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment