Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tech Support Suicide

I'm here writing now because if I don't get the feelings out, I will need to wake my family to inform them of my dismay.  They need sleep, I get that.  I already woke hubby up a couple times early on is his attempted  slumber to inform him of my issue. 

For the past 6 years I have created a photobook using MyPublisher.com.  They offer great products, easy to use software, fair prices and great customer service... I thought.  My experience has been superior up until today.  I've been working on "the book" for this year all week.  I love "the book".  I hate making the book.  It's a labor of love that requires hours of viewing hundreds of photos for a handful that will make the 40 page book.  Let me tell you, we take about 15 pictures for every decent one.

I'm in this year for at least 15 hours.  Tonight Donald previewed the book and it was great.  I had to go into the book and edit some fonts.  Done deal.  While editing the program closed itself.  When I rebooted and opened again, I had access to the book I made last year and nothing else.  I tried several times.  I contacted chat support and was cut off several times.  When I finally made a good contact I was told the book resides on my hard drive (big mistake MyPublisher, everything is web based these days).  I back up my hard drive to an external drive.  The book isn't there either.  The book appears at this point to be gone.  So family members who get a book, your book was going to be late....how's February?

Ultimately the tech support person sent me instructions to attempt to recover the book.  I have a call with senior tech support in the morning.  I hope it isn't gone.  Some years the book is a breeze.  Everything is so great it writes itself.  This year was a total turd I had to polish the hell of.  I'm not sure I have it in me to do it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment