Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Relay for Life

If you know me, you know I Relay.  This is my 6th year.  My first experience with cancer was with my Paternal Grandfather.  Papa was diagnosed with Colon cancer in 1985 and he did not win his fight despite a valiant effort.  Many other extended family members fought the fight, some won, many didn't.  My Mom fought in 1991, she lost her battle ultimately, but not cancer.  Losing is losing though.  My Paternal Grandmother was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 1996.  She fought for years and was ultimately taken as a result of pneumonia.

I Relay because of my friend Bonnie.  She inspired me and her company matches our donations.  I continue to Relay because of the losses we have suffered.  Marilyn Gilmore, you were taken so fast.   I still think of you as Mom of the Year and such a Matriarch.   Jerry, you fought so hard.  That night at Kaiser was as unbearable as any moment could be.  We drove so fast, we prayed so hard.   Veronica, I only knew you through Johanna, but I knew you well.  I knew you and Lou and the kids and I felt the world change when we lost you.  Rosa, you joined our team and we let you into our hearts.  We love your family, your boys and we miss you.  We honor you.  We love you.

If you read this, don't you feel like you must get involved?  Relay is so easy.  Join the team, raise as much or as little as you like, walk all day, or don't even show up.  The site gives you tools to fundraise.  They make it easy.

You have been touched by cancer.  Friends, family, co-workers.   This is easy.  Please join the team or donate.  http://main.acsevents.org/goto/SuzanneColeman

1 comment: