Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Pets

The name of the blog isn't MrsDoolittletoyou for nothing.  I am a Jill of all Trades, but at the end of the day I am a lover of all creatures great and small.  Funny thing, an acquaintance recently found out I was an animal lover and she said, wow, really?  I don't see that about you, I know you're not a kid person, but you do like animals?  I cracked up.  To clarify, I'm not great at hanging out with kids or kids activities but I adore my kids and their activities! 

First and foremost I am a cat person.  I'm at least a husband and three kids away from being a crazy cat lady.  I also like a very clean house, and you can't have 50 cats and a clean house.  So although some have suggested this is my future, I reject this.  However, should I ever become wealthy by way of hard work or lottery, I will run a non profit animal shelter.  No question.  It's a thankless heartbreaking job, but there is nothing more I'd rather do that have enough money to support left behind animals.  

So I have three cats.  I used to have one cat, the amazing Gonka named by baby Sam at 18 months.  I think she was trying to say donkey because Grandma that lived here had a collection of donkeys, but it came out Gonka and she insisted the kitten was a Gonka, and it stuck.  He was a Gonka and there will never be another Gonka.  I lost Gonka when he was 7 to pancreatitis.  So then we got Sabrina and Sunny from a house in Lakeside.  They had about 9 kittens in a cage with Mom, all calicos.  We were getting one, but we couldn't leave with just one.  I still remember those kittens in the cart at Petsmart while we bought all their supplies.  We had to flea dip them that first day.  I think we may have screwed them up for good.  They seemed OK.  They slept with us and there were no accidents.  Over time, Sabrina became obsessed with Donald and bit neurotic and Sunny has IBS and vomits frequently.  Buyer beware, free cats in Lakeside....
Neither of these cats bonded with me.  I am the cat box scooper and filler of the dish only.  Over the years they have gotten better, but I don't have a lap cat in these girls.

So two years later I shopped for my little boy, black and white cat.  Gonka was a boy, black and white.  I wasn't looking to replace him, but I was hoping for a cat with a similar disposition.  6 months of shopping.  I found my sweetheart in Jamul, he was perfect.  We went to get him.  Perfect.  Oscar Bear.   Slept in the crook of my neck for days.  Played like crazy.  The girl cats hated him.  Eventually they ruined him.  He became the angry little brother they never wanted.  He got way bigger than them.  He has a woobie, a favorite little toy he cries to when he is alone.  He has a life outside of this family.  He drags stuffed toys from the girls rooms and sings to them in the middle of the night.  I would love to snuggle with this cat.  He loves toys and the dog.

Then we have the outside cats.  These cats aren't mine.  But, once upon a time 2 years ago a mama cat came here and had kittens.....more good stories there.  More about pets too, we have several more to cover.

For now, can I just get ONE cat to sit with me????

No comments:

Post a Comment