Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So this last week....

How can anyone be so grateful and so challenged at the same time?

My class this month is history something, cultural diversity.  I love history, I love diversity.  I hate the liberal slanted book and professor I have.  OK hate is a bad word.  I'd prefer a more balanced approach to the topics, but in this case, the topics really dictate a liberal approach.  I'm not entirely anti liberal.  Everyone needs to be responsible for themselves.   I know there is discrimination.  I know minorities get the short end of the stick at times.  Guess what?  So do perfectly middle of the road average white folks!   But we certainly can't call that foul discrimination.  Women still earn less than men for the same jobs, minorities earn less.  I get all of this.   I chose NOT to use it as a crutch.  I choose to make my own opportunities.  I choose to have 4 or more jobs to make ends meet.  I make a lot of choices that afford me opportunities that I really think others have, but choose not to take advantage of.

I am challenged with my multiple jobs.   I'd love to have one job bringing in what I am used to making in a month.  The fact of the matter is, that is not happening.  So I am challenged.  But I am totally grateful for the crazy list of things I do.  I am still learning some aspects of a few things.  I get crazy when I am not automatically great at something.  This discomfort has been good for me no matter how much I hate it!

Point being, be grateful, be challenged and get uncomfortable to get ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment