Monday, June 21, 2010

Pets Part Two

We have always wanted a dog, but have always been concerned about the time a dog needs to be a good member of the family.  In the post we had to find a new home for a dog that we just could not handle because she was never trained properly.  I am not the type of person to give up an animal for any reason.  It was a tough decision, but for Ginger, it made the most sense.  On a side note, the seemingly wonderful family that took her later turned her back into the pound as a result of the suicide of the Father of the family...She found another home, but she is a dog with a past for certain!

So we searched for a puppy for quite some time.  Considered multiple breeds, Boxes, Lab, Retriever.  We wanted a mid sized dog that was good with kids and would travel well.  For months we just didn't find the right fit.  I was working from home, so the timing was good, I'd be here to supervise and do initial training.  One day I received an email from a volunteer group that fostered puppies and kittens.  I saw a puppy that I thought was a female, couldn't tell the breed.  I called to see when I could see the pup and was told they would be at the local Petsmart at 4 PM.   This puppy needed a foster home today. 

It was love at first sight.  He was a boy and there was no telling what the heck he was or how big he would get.  He had a tiny baby sister that looked like a Yorkie although he had only terrier traits.   Donald came to the store and we adopted him on the spot.  He was the sweetest puppy ever.  We still don't know what he is.  Speculation includes Sheltie, Australian Shepherd, Coyote, Dingo, who the heck knows?

13 months later.  Parker is an amazing addition to our family.  He travels with us, loves to go in the car, knows a few tricks, has almost no bad habits and he just fits.  I never thought I could love a dog so much, but I sure do.  The cats hate him, although I see them trying to entice him into a play fight quite often.  Those cats, they act like they hate him and then try to draw him into their evil web of play, only to reject him bitterly.  He falls for it every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment