Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Cousin

Happy Birthday Cousin Gail!  You have had quite a ride these last few years.  I don't need to remind you of your trials.  But I do want to mention that I am so sorry about the recent passing of your Mom....my Grandma's Brother's Son's wife (wow).  How many fantastic childhood memories I have of your grandparents, parents, relatives and you kids, even though I was the kid back then. 

So in your birthday blog, I will share my memories of you, my cherished cousin.  Growing up as an only child, my information was limited.  My Mom's family was almost entirely off limits (as they should have been).  My Dad's family was limited to Grandma's side, which is where you fell Gail.  My first memories are in about 1976 when much of the Michigan clan came to San Diego.  Richard and Pat with Rick and Sherry and Earl and Joe with Mikey and Marla came to stay at my house.  I was about 5.  Everyone got the stomach flu.  I was the last to get it, and I missed the fun stuff. 

I think that Art and Irma, Jimmy and Hedwiges, Margaret and Dee and Alice and Paul, along with Nick and Helen were staying at my Grandma's house, Von and Jim to you.  I don't remember a lot about that visit.

But in 1980, I know you came to visit Gail.  You were held in high standard with my Grandmother.  She raved about you Gail!  You are the woman who can manage 15 things at once.  I think I must have got the message because I only feel comfortable when I have at least 14 things going at one time.  You are a Mom, a career woman, a wife, a caretaker, friend and family member, and I can relate to you on many levels.  You do too much and you over extend yourself in the name of love and empathy. 

In the couple of summers I spent with you and your family I learned so much about what family means.  I loved my summers in Michigan, trips to Frakenmuth, catching fire flies, sparklers, staying my grandparent's RV and real family fun

I have two items on my desk, that I have literally had on my desk since I had a desk, that you painted.  Thank you for the inspiration.

Bless you cousin, you are an inspiration to many and a blessing to all.

Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment