Thursday, April 14, 2011

I have a Dilemma - Share Your Opinion Please

Please tell me why I write blogs in the blog window online? Exactly how many posts will I need to lose due to fat fingers??

The answer, at least one freaking more and damn.

So I have a dilemma, and let's just say by dilemma, it's minor in the big picture. But I do have a decision to make. Believe me I have enormous fish to fry. So let's take on this minnow.

I started back to school in February of 2009. I aimed to earn my Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a minor in Marketing, and I will finish in June of this year. It's been a battle. I have a very high GPA and I have worked my tail off. I have consistently shared with my girls that this is not the way to do college and that it is a very big deal to graduate. I truly feel that way, although I know I should have done so when I was young. Nonetheless, I have been an example to the girls, get your degree, and do it while you are young, and it's important. I get five tickets to commencement, I need more. I may be able to get them, I may not. My feeling is we all go, or none of us go, but I still have to decide if I want to go.

The dilemma. I have always made a big deal about graduation and walking in the ceremony. I am having second thoughts. So as a person that sees things very black and white, I find myself on the gray fence.

My Dad and Step Mom are coming out for graduation. They are very proud of me, and I love them for it. Because we live 3000 miles apart, we don't get to see one another the way I wish we could. So the visit is a treat. My kids adore time with them and I love time with them. Commencement will be 6 to 8 hours. Well probably 4 to 5 hours for my family, longer for me. This is to watch me walk across a stage for 2 seconds, get a fake diploma and listen to lame speaker. The more I think about it, the more I would rather spend the precious hours with my family.

The other side. My parents are super proud of me. Donald has lived with me for this time...he probably deserves a ceremony more than I. My Mother in Law has been my biggest fan, promising pom poms and fan fare just like she did for Donald. My best friend Charity is also graduating that day, in the same ceremony. So her family will be there. Our kids and families are close.

I really don't think I want to go. A ceremony doesn't change my hard work. It doesn't make me work any harder, because I always get great grades. I will still earn a degree with honors. So why am I still struggling? Help me out by sharing your comments.

A. Attend commencement

B. Skip and spend rare time with loved ones

C. Please explain the gray fence!

7 comments:

  1. A. Attend commencement!

    What the hell are you thinking? You've done so well to come all this way with hard work and perseverence. You want to be the example for the girls, BE the example! Go! Graduate with one of your best friends, in front of your entire family with all the pride and confidence of someone who has achieved the goal under less than ideal circumstances. My mom graduated later in life and I cried as I watched her cross that stage and there was never a day in my life I was more proud of her! Don't deny yourself or your family of that fantastic moment - seize it CHERISH IT WITH THEM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attend. You've worked so hard for this and it's a once-in-a-lifetime sort of thing. Get your 2 seconds of fame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You HAVE to go!!! We worked out butts off for this and thank goodness our husbands didn't divorce us through it! Our families have had to deal with 2 grumpy ladies for years and it is time for them to see our reward (not just a piece of paper)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having your kids and husband there is most important. I graduated and received my GED and having my sons there was the the best ever. Visit with everyone else after. If they are as supportive as you say they will understand.
    Lesa
    PS Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attend. Wouldn't you want the girls to attend theirs? You showed them that a college education is important. Follow through all the way to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comments and votes. Seems like it is unanimous, but I still feel differently. I am taking all of the advice under consideration. I do want to go, I don't want it to take an entire day - I don't have it in me. I'll keep thinking! Thank you for also sharing my blog, I truly appreciate the feedback. Stay tuned for the launch of my blended family column soon. Share my blog with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will comment without reading the other comments,trust your first gut (reaction)to why you don't want to go,why not have your own ceremony with family and you can stand up longer than a few seconds and tell them how they helped you get where you are and how much you appreciate all of them joining you for a great experience....just a suggestion

    ReplyDelete