Tuesday, April 27, 2010

So....About Sleep

It's one of my favorite things, truly. I've been known to go to bed at 6 PM and not be seen until the following morning. With my schedule it doesn't happen often, and I don't even like to do that very often, but when the stars align....oh how I love that kind of sleep.

The rest of the time, I struggle. As my sweet husband says, you could relax, but your mind is always trying to kill you. I'm tired. I'm exhausted. I'm not worried. I'm not depressed. I'm no more stressed than anyone else. My brain almost never shuts off. I have mental lists that I have written down to try to purge the brain. I have brilliant ideas, but only long after I should be asleep. I have a lot to accomplish, which also makes me sleepless. If I go to bed now and fall asleep, I will get X hours of sleep....yeah, I play that game. I can count sheep, or kittens in my case, and keep that mental list going at the same time. Yes my brain is that talented....or cursed, or perhaps just plain simple!

Yes, I have tried reading before bed. Making the bedroom a sleeping place only (no TV). Relaxation techniques. Melatonin, Tylenol PM, over the counter sleeping pills, antihistamines...the list goes on, but it's all legal stuff!

I'm grateful beyond belief for this incredible life I have, so I really shouldn't complain, but the sleep stuff is getting to me.

I had a Dr years ago suggest that perhaps I should try yoga, or meditate. Um, if I could sit still long enough to clear my mind to do yoga or meditate, I guess I may not have this issue. That IS the issue, DUH! Clearing my mind requires general anesthesia and I guess Michael Jackson ruined that for recreational users.

So it's 1:22 AM. If I go to sleep this second I will get about 5 hours of sleep. Of course I'm wide awake, so there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment